Do you long for the pleasures of a good night's sleep? Need help now!? Please read below for my advice -
Firstly You Are Not Alone -
I see client's for a variety of issues but trouble sleeping is the main problem I help people overcome. Having suffered from insomnia myself I know first hand how soul destroying it can be! Insomnia affects more than 1/3 of our population so that is huge. There was a time when it used to be a sign of success to get by on four hours sleep and still be able to work, people even boasted about it. But now thankfully everyone has dropped that silly competition after realising the negative effect lack of sleep has on your health, wellbeing and yes your ability to perform well in the work place.
Sleeping is the Cornerstone of Life
The negative effects of insomnia on your health are staggering. Surviving on limited sleep leads to anxiety, stress, weakened immune system, heart disease and even obesity. Mentally, not getting enough sleep can lead to anxiety, increased negative thoughts, depression and can make it difficult for you to concentrate and eventually burnout at work. Sleeping is key!! So if you are not getting enough or are having broken sleep please see below for just some of my tips.
1. Make sure you have a relaxing bedtime routine in place, mine involves a long leisurely bath soaking in lavender bath salts for along as possible before I get into bed.
2. The bedroom is for sleeping, cuddling and reading. Remove the TV, phone, laptop, bills and any work please!
3. If worries keep you up at night, practice gratitude in bed instead. So buy a lovely journal and write down at least 3 things you are grateful for that happened during the day. This will take your mindset away from worries and onto more rewarding and pleasurable things to think about.
4. Remove the clock from your room or anything else you use to read the time. Set your alarm by all means but do not have your clock/phone anywhere near you in your bedroom otherwise you will be too tempted to check the time if you have trouble sleeping. Remember you don't care about the time, you are too busy thinking about all the great things that are going on in your life to care!
5. Say affirmations to yourself if you start panicking about not being asleep, e.g. "Time is unimportant I'm just resting, resting puts my mind at ease and resting is the first top to sleep" say this over and over again in a calm steady voice in your head until you drift off.
6. This is obvious but do not look at your phone for at least an hour or two before bed, this will only keep your mind active which is not good for going into sleep mode.
7. Invest in a white noise machine, I have a fabulous air purifier which pumps fresh clean air in the room, and gives off a relaxing hum just like an air conditioner. White noise has been proven to get babies to sleep and works for grown ups too!
8. If you have a wriggly partner, well I'm sorry they have to go. Otherwise invest in one of those fancy beds that has two separate mattress joined together. You wont notice the seam in-between the mattresses and you won't be bothered as much by your partners annoying movements.
9. If you have problems quietening your mind and getting to sleep, then I recommend listening to hypnotherapy recordings. These are amazing at helping switch your mind off, relaxing you completely and the suggestions in the recording will lead you to sleep very quickly. There are many varieties of these on offer from different sellers so shop around and find the voice you prefer. If you would like to purchase my sleep inducing hypnotherapy recordings please get in touch.
Don't Give Up
It takes a while to get your sleeping back on a track. So don't get dishearneted if it's taking a while. Once your nervous system gets upset by a bad patch of sleeping or a stressful period, it takes a while to settle down again, so just keep using the above techniques and with time your sleeping will get back to normal. If you still have problems sleeping then please get in touch with me and I will be happy to help get your sleeping back on track with a course of hypnosis and some other great sleep inducing techniques I have up my sleeve. Good luck xx
Alex Saxton Hypnotherapy
Tel: 01202 809 510
Mob: 07815 318 455
Location: My clinic covers the Wimborne, Poole & Bournemouth area in Dorset and I provide Skype sessions for client's living further a field.